Monday, January 16, 2006

Aloha!

It was Praptee's birthday today. Antish and Jenn bought pizza and Phillip, their friend who helped us to fix the internet joined in the celebration. We took lots of photos; One of the four pizza's from California 2 for 1 doubled up as her Birthday cake.

After dinner, I played a couple of songs... 'Come here' by Kath Bloom, at Praptee's request. It's her favorite song ever, from the soundtrack of Before Sunset. I also played 'More than words' very rustily, at Jenn's request. keke.

Later on we went to the 'Wine Connection' at Mohammed Sultan. It was so fun. One of the waiters looked really familiar and i realized i met him at the Stasis gig. He was one of the 'extra' rah rah boys at 'The Pinholes' gig. It was pretty cool. He gave me alot of leads into the local music scene. Very useful for my thesis i think. Well, that is, as soon as I come up with a thesis statement.

We also met this Irish chap. When Praptee was working there, he dropped by regularly, on his own, always ordering a bottle of wine for himself and a cheese plate. We were heading off after our bottle of white wine and he said hi to Praptee, I told him that it was her Birthday and he invited us to join him for a chat.

It was pretty interesting. The more you talk to people from all over the world, the more you realize how much you have in common. He's into Placebo and good gigs. Ok, admittedly I'm not into Placebo, yet, although I attended their gig at Zouk years back. But still...

Later on, Praps and I went for a walk along Clarke Quay. They've completely 'plasticized' the place. The whole place is covered with some mutation of a giant umbrella and all the eateries have been transformed into, as Praps says, 'lifeboats'. It sucks. Whatever vestiges of character the place once had is now completely gone. The place is a fucking franchise.

Anyways, we walked right to the end of Clarke Quay, where the bungee jump is. Next, we sat ourselves down by the side of the river and lay down.

'Why is it that in Singapore you can't see the stars?' Praps asks me.

'Coz' in Singapore the lights are too bright, even at night, it's unnaturally bright - all the buildings are lighted up; that's why you don't see the stars' I tell her in my half-drunken state.

I doze off for a while. And upon waking I say, 'hey praps, wanna head back? It's getting late...'

We head back... walking slowly, leisurely... and I take a slow drive back to the Gold Coast. It has been a beautiful night out. We have lived. Today.

No comments: