Saturday, October 28, 2006

Flipping thru' old notes

I was just flippin thru' some old notes I had written in my first year at NUS, it was simply ticklish!!! I felt so amused by some of the stuff I had written that I feel compelled to write it here.

Here's a short play that I had written and never completed...

A SHORT PLAY - by Deborah Lee (2002)

(This play consists mainly of LOTTA who attends university in the Numbskull Utopia of Singapore - or so she thinks... The act opens with her sitting in her literature class building another castle in the sky while the affable American lecturer tries to elicit some response from the sonmabulistic critters she has for classmates)

RB( Lecturer): ( Legs straddled across a chair and leaning forward intently) As I told you before, although I love to hear my own voice, I am infinitely more enamoured with yours... so speak up!!! What are your views on he text?

*deafening silence*

That was about 4 years ago. I never thought I would one day write this, but being in NUS has been a very good thing for me. I feel that it was a place that allowed me to grow and explore areas in my life that I had previously neglected. In addition to this, the academic material that I studied acquainted me on a more concrete level with the societal and political landscape of Singapore - something I might never have properly understood, perhaps, if I had continued studying abroad.

Why is this valuable? I believe that it is infinitely valuable because in order to move forward, one has to understand where ones comes from. Undeniably, I was born in Singapore: I grew up in the Singaporean mileau and on a very visceral, unconscious level am probably imbued with the Singaporean mindset and approach to living. It will bode me well to understand the full import and significance of my roots - which attending University in Singapore has done for me. As my mom likes to quote from Sun Tze who wrote 'The Art of War', 'know thy enemy, know thyself, in a thousand battles, a thousand victories'

Maaaa, thank yew! Summore Popiah phulleese!!! ;)

No comments: