Saturday, July 23, 2005

My first Earthquake ever

I was lying in Satomi's room today, reading Ernest Hemingway's 'across the river and into the trees' when I felt these really strong vibrations coming from the ceiling above. At first I thought the neighbors upstairs were doing some serious jumping around/having really intense skipping sessions... then the shaking came from below as well... for a good 10 seconds the shaking continued and then i realized that it was an earthquake!

Apparently, Japan has about 1000 earthquakes a year.. some of them too small to be discerned. Today's earthquake was 5.2 on the richter scale. The train system has stopped due to the earthquake and Satomi's brother is stuck on the Westside of Tokyo.

Satomi told me that if the earthquake was about 6 or 7 on the richter scale, there would be Tsunamis and all the buildings in the area would be destroyed by the waves or the earthquake - Shiba is next to the ocean.

Anyway, Satomi told me all this on our walk to the beach today, an hour or two after the earthquake. It's a good thing we decided to stay at home and rest today, otherwise we would still be stuck in tokyo at 10pm.

The beach was really lovely. The sky seemed alot bigger than any other sky I've seen in a long time. We walked right out on the pier.. it was about 700 metres out into the sea... on the right hand side the sun illuminated the sky and the sea and the water was calm... birds flew close to the water surface. Immediately on the right hand side of the pier, the water was dark and choppy while the sky was cloudy and overcast. It was such a contrast... almost as if we were in two different places at the same time with the pier acting as a boundary between the two places with such disparate scenarios.

The weather was really cool and there was a bracing breeze. I felt really happy and relaxed and found myself wishing that I lived somewhere more quiet and peaceful, like Shiba. As we walked back along the pier and saw some old men bringing in their nets and their catch for the day, I felt really lucky. I felt lucky to be able to stay with Satomi and catch a real glimpse of Japanese life in her family and in the neighborhood in which she lives.

No comments: