Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Hairdresser Murdered my Hair

I used to like going to cut my hair.

That was when I was alot younger. Somehow i always left the hairdressers feelin' either 1) prettier or 2) cooler

I remember how I got a page-boy type hairstyle when I was 11 and i got home and my sister was like.. 'ooh wow... cool... so kewte' (or something to that effect). I nodded in assent .....I knew I was cool ... the person that looked back at me in the saloon mirror could be nothing else but cool.

Another time I went to the hairdressers and got a concave cut at the back...... and all the girl in MGS were like... 'oooh... cool'.... and one of them said that i looked super 'shuai' like 'Chen Hanwei' (who is a Singaporean Actor famous for his role as a trendy and open-minded young teacher in 'Lau Shi Jao'- one of the more popular drama serials back in the early nineties)

And I was pleased. Coz' i thought he was a pretty fine-looking.

So what's up these days with horrid haircuts?

I think the main thing is that I haven't found a hairdresser that I can stick to.

The last time I had my haircut was in Chinatown in Vancouver city. It was seven pm plus in the seedy streets of the district and most of the shops had closed. Stumbling into this one shop that was still opened was like stumbling upon an oasis in the desert.

Feeling suitably 'celebrative' especially since it was the last day of my exams, and 'in the mood for change' I asked her for a punk looking hair-style. Of course I didn't know how to say this in mandarin. So i found a picture that I liked in the magazine and pointed it out to her. So she cut it.

And it looked nothing like punk.

So much for looking cool.

*sigh*

Today I had my hair cut.. coz' my hair had grown out and was getting shaggy. I went to this hairstylist in Clementi called 'BEN'.. that has really cool black and white pics in cool black picture frames with cool white borders.

I wanted a 'trim' because i decided recently that i want to grow my hair out and keep a bob. Perhaps my days in Nanyang Primary School make me predisposed to the bob - afterall that was the furthest we could grow our hair back then.

In any case.... i said to her 'wo yao liu chang' ... 'jian yi dian er yi' which means, 'I want to leave (it) long'... 'just cut alittle bit'...

She nodded and then said (in mandarin) ok... so i'll thin out your hair alittle and layer it...I nodded...even though i was slightly dubious.. but then i supposed she knew what she must be doin. Well, in any case either she didn't understand me or I didn't mis-intrepreted what she was saying because she duly proceeded to chop off a very significant amount of hair. It was hardly a trim...and it looks like..

crap

And now ....I'm not any closer to achieving my bob.

Lesson One: cool looking hair-salon does not equal cool looking hair-cut

Lesson Two: Hairdressers have a tendency to cut your hair shorter than you'd like them to so you really have to STRESS that you just want to cut JUST A LITTLE.

*sigh* As for now....So long to looking cool and growing out a bob.

For a few more months at least. ...

and the next time i do this i'm going to make sure that i get a straight cut. No more of this 'layering' nonsense. Bah!

No comments: