Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Khao San Road and the 'gift of the earth'

I'm kinda reassessing if it's actually a good thing at all. I think the experience varies greatly depending on the environment and the people that you're with when you do it. And also the Quality.

I found the pubs pretty sleazy.

It was a Korean club. All the magazines were in Korean. I couldn't find a single Thai magazine to flip through while we were waiting for the DJ to get his earphones and his act together. The only Thai literature i found was a law book.
This bald Korean guy kept lurking around and tried to make conversation a couple of times. I was seriously freaked out by him and gave him my 'f*** off' look. Later on I discovered that he's the manager of the establishment.

So we waited for about 40mins for the tardy DJ. Seemed like eternity actually... time gets warped under these circumstances. I asked Prapti how she was feeling - and she said that it was like 'a bubble' in her head. That's really strange coz' I was actually thinking alot - getting more and more into my thoughts.

There were a couple of other folks playing pool at the table outside and we went to have a look. There was this one Thai guy who played particularly well. He wore a T-shirt that said 'Holiday Pleasure' (or something to that effect) We went up and got a couple of whisky cokes (free w the coupons they were handing out at Khao San)

...the music was awful. Completely in your face - the words 'Fuck me now!' kept playing. I told the DJ that the music sucked and asked him to change it to something abit more 'subtle' and he nodded and said 'I understand what you're saying, i'll do my best.' And although he changed the music to some lyric-less trance......I just couldn't continue dancing at all... it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Prapti and I left, her two friends stayed behind. On the way to another club, we bumped into some of her Mauritian friends from hall ... they speak a kind of creole in Mauritious. I find it very fascinating. I sang the song 'Feuilles-O' to them (which is in an african creole) and asked them if they understood - they did alittle, but they said that the Creole was abit different. One of them, Karoun, said that that song had abit of Spanish influence.

I studied abit about Mauritious in my Ethnic relations class - at the risk of sounding like a complete nerd I will say that it was pretty interesting talking to them with that. I asked them what they liked about Singapore and they said that you get to meet good people. But in Mauritious, things are more laidback, people take time to live.

We parted ways at the club. They were going back to get some rest. Prapti and I went into another bar (that did not check IDs seeing as how my International Student card was completely useless as they were making those illegally across the street for 100 Baht!) I ended up watching soccer, in between spates of dancing. It's actually pretty interesting.

If you're a soccer fan and familiar with jargon... I need to ask you this question, What's 'possession'?

In any case. I'm seriously reconsidering if the 'gift of the earth' is really the 'gift of the earth' - natural things can be pretty harmful as well. To the body, mind and spirit.

For some reason though - I tend to think more about my childhood UTI, and its usually good memories. Apart from that, the world can appear abit more scary or more cool depending on the people that you're with and all. In a hot climate like Thailand, you tend to 'melt' away with your thoughts UTI, but in a wintery climate ... you tend to feel alittle more 'suspended' and 'up'.

Don't know if I would do it again. But in the right time, right situations, right enviroment and with the right people - it can be a pretty cool experience.

No comments: